Emily Payne

UNBC Teacher Candidate

Standard 9

Educators respect and value the history of First Nations, Inuit and Metis in Canada and the impact of the past on present and the future. Educators contribute towards truth, reconciliation and healing. Educators foster a deeper understanding of ways of knowing and being, histories, and cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Metis.

EDUC490:

During my 490 practicum, I was able to utilize and learn techniques to implement standard 9 in new ways. From my Coaching Teacher (CT) I picked up her own practice of incorporating sharing circles with the students 3 times a week. Starting on Monday, students gather in a circle with each other at the beginning of the day and share one fun thing they did over the weekend and how they are feeling. My CT also uses this as a check-in for all the students. After the circle, the students write about what they shared and this allows time for a further check-in with the students who may need it. Then on Thursday, the students gather in a circle and discuss one thing they are thankful for. My CT usually starts this circle right after Thanksgiving so students can continue to have discussions about what they are thankful for each week. Finally, on Friday, we gather in one final circle at the end of the day and discuss one fun thing they did at school during the week. My CT does this to end the week on something positive even if a student had a few bumps during the week.

In connection to the standard, these sharing circles are a big part of Indigenous culture, and incorporating them into the everyday routine of a classroom encompasses the true purpose of standard 9. Standard 9 is meant for teachers to include Indigenous culture in everyday practices rather than adding a piece of Indigenous culture in separately.

I learned from my CT how easy it is to include Indigenous culture in everyday routines and I hope to continue these routines in my own classroom.

© 2024 Emily Payne