Emily Payne

UNBC Teacher Candidate

Standard 6

Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.

As educators, it is important to know and have a vast understanding of what you are teaching your students. As a new teacher experiencing may different grade levels, I have often found myself needing to review the exact knowledge that is expected of me to know (especially in the math/science curriculum). For example, this past practicum I was teaching a grade 6/7 class (my highest grade yet) and I was asked by the coaching teacher to cover perimeter and area. Even though I already knew what perimeter and area was, I needed to take time to review the exact steps and formulas required to ensure my students were given all the information needed to be successful.

Along with this, I also have years of post-secondary education behind me too and I have gotten the opportunity to demonstrate my knowledge from my post-secondary education and bring that into the classroom to show the students. For example, I have done a variety of biology credits in university, most focusing on ornithology (study of birds). Sharing this knowledge with the students, I was able to use knowledge and resources I had previously collected and show the students all the different things I knew about birds.

© 2024 Emily Payne