Emily Payne

UNBC Teacher Candidate

Standard 4

Educators value the involvement and support of parents, guardians, families and communities in schools.

EDUC 490:

I started participating in this standard towards the end of my practicum experience. To celebrate student learning, I decided to throw a celebratory/going away party for the students on the last day of classes. To notify parents. My CT allowed me to create and organize the party and within this task, I also had to let the parents/guardians know. With assistance from my CT I wrote a letter to send home to the parents and guardians of the students.

Doing this directly connects to the standard by having me (as the teacher) reach out and include parents and guardians with what is going on in the classroom.

I learned the importance of letting parents/guardians know what is going on inside the classroom because every student was able to come to the party prepared and no one felt left out or not included. Moving forward I wish to continue to reach out and have open discussions with the parents/guardians of my students and potentially have them more involved while still following COVID restrictions.

PRAC490-ParentLetter (finalcopy)

© 2024 Emily Payne